JFFS2 OOPS in 2.6.20

Jörn Engel joern at lazybastard.org
Fri Mar 9 08:11:45 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 March 2007 11:56:20 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> Yeah, but I figured that changing seed was less intrusive. Not
> sure how good Alder32 is but if we make an incompatible change we
> could change it to something else than crc32. We should measure if
> how much faster Adler32 is first though.
>
> You think such a change is worthwhile?

Last time we discussed this, crc32 looked better.  It may be a bit
slower (not much, iirc), but it will catch _all_ 1-bit, 2-bit and 3-bit
errors and has a 1:2^32 change of missing n-bit errors with n>3.

Adler, if memory serves, can only guarantee all 1-bit errors and a
1:2^30 or so chance for n-bit errors, if the buffer is long enough.
"Long enough" is ~1000 bytes.  Below that, chances of getting false
positives are getting higher.

You can check the archives for this.  It might have been 2004 as well.

Jörn

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design: one way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other is