Why is PEB not erased before writing???

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Tue Feb 20 17:29:21 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:48 +1300, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> Quoth Thomas Gleixner [tglx at linutronix.de]:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 16:41 +0530, Brijesh Singh wrote:
> >> Yes I did enable this CONFIG_MTD_UBI_USERSPACE_IO  option.We can't
> >> write the device if this flag is not enabled.UBI treats the device as
> >> readonly. This  is the usual way to write UBI device,I guess.
> >
> > No. It is not. It is a _DEBUG_ option. UBI has an update mechanism.
> > See documentation.
>
> Perhaps it needs to be named better then :)

1. It is only available, when you enable CONFIG_MTD_UBI_DEBUG

2. From the help text of CONFIG_MTD_UBI_USERSPACE_IO:
"By default, users cannot directly write and erase individual
eraseblocks of dynamic volumes (the update operation must be used
instead). This option enables this capability - this is often useful for
debugging."

Better names are not really preventing PEBKAC scenarios.

	tglx