Question about MTD Erase mechanism.

Vinit Agnihotri vinit.agnihotri at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:41:53 EST 2007

I have 1 question about MTD Erase mechanism.

Say we have a MTD device with 'n' no. of blocks. Each block is of size
100Bytes. Once erased we can write 25bytes i.e. min_io_size is
25bytes. So once a block is erased I can perform 4 writes without
erasing it again only if those 4 writes are not overlapping. But if
any of those write is overlapping i.e. if re-write occurs then entire
block have to be erased.

So my question is who handles these types of conditions. I mean does
hardware handles such conditions or software have to handle such
situations? I mean who handles re-writing & erasures due to that???

Thanks & Regards
Vinit.