Limited support of NAND features in MTD.

Alexey Korolev akorolev at infradead.org
Tue Dec 18 10:06:50 EST 2007

Hi Jörn

> > It is not a secret that current MTD supports very limited set of NAND
> > features. Some of missed features like partial page read or cached read
> > are able to improve file system performance and its implementation do
> > not require s/w redesign.
>
> What does cached read do?

Performs cached read operations :). It is a feature of NAND devices. It increases performance if we have
request to read sequentally large amount of data from NAND.

> Another feature that could become useful would be the on-chip copying.
> With JFFS2 this is rare, but when doing GC or wear leveling in a fashion
> that keeps certain alignments intact, it could improve performance.

Yeah. I know this feature. If I properly understand the real purpose of
it is mostly related for FTL but could be used for FS as well.
You are right it make sense to try it. But I do not know when it will be possible to do
this. Usually this feature is called as Internal data move in NAND specs.

Thanks,
Alexey