What is the correct way to make an mtdchar device available?

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:42:48 EDT 2007

Hello all,

On 8/10/07, James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Ralph Siemsen <ralphs at netwinder.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 10:20:49AM -0400, James Olin Oden wrote:
> > >
> > >   How do I update my BIOS with MTD?
> Bummer.  It sounds like they are going out of their way to make it
> hard to automate BIOS updates.   That explanation may explain why our
> current proprietary driver did not work on a system that had the same
> south bridge and firmware hub, but was not built by us.
>
> > I am guessing the LinuxBIOS folks have dealt with these sorts of issues,
> > perhaps worth a look to see what they've come up with.
> I will check that out.

I once tried the same on a Supermicro server. I had to do this before
I could access the memory. I think I used some flashtool from
Linuxbios as well.

http://www.esrac.ele.tue.nl/~leon/linux/patches/2.4.27-bios-unreserved.patch

I don't remember the details though, this has been over 16 months ago
and we have never used it in production.

I'ld love to hear your results.

*** Assume that you screw up your BIOS image / chip --- so make sure
you have a working copy or a second machine you can use to boot from,
and/or BIOS flash tool. etc etc ***

Regards,
--
Leon