DiskOnChip 2000 (DOC 2000) woes.

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:30:28 EDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Andy Kennedy <akennedy at techmoninc.com> wrote:
> Bob Beers wrote:
> > And, to give you some hope, I will tell you
> >  that I have done what you are trying.
> > fdisk /dev/nftla (create a linux partition or two)
> > mke2fs /dev/nftla1
> > mount /dev/nftla1 /mnt/doc
> > cp blahblahblah /mnt/doc/blahblah
> > etc. ...
> > end up with a bootable DoC on a SBC with no other drive.
>
> What kernel did you use?

I have used many 2.6.x, (2.6.15.4 for certain) with this relevant .config:

root at alakazam:/usr/src/linux-2.6.15.4-PM# grep MTD .config | grep -v ^#
CONFIG_MTD=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_1=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_2=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_4=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I1=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I2=y
CONFIG_MTD_NAND=y
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_IDS=y
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_DISKONCHIP=y
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_DISKONCHIP_PROBE_ADDRESS=0
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_DISKONCHIP_BBTWRITE=y

> How did you make it bootable. . . lilo?

yep, lilo v, 22.2, I think

> Did you follow a howto -- or just do it plain like I figured I could do. . .
> It shouldn't be that hard, right?

No, never found a howto.

If I recall correctly, it is very important to format the DoC with
 the DOS tools' dformat before trying any linux action on it.

I booted from a bootable DOS floppy and ran:

dformat /win:d800 /s:doc514.exb /ebda /y

Then reboot into DOS once more.
Then boot into linux and run fdisk,
 format the partitions, copy the files,
 run lilo, etc.