What is the correct way to make an mtdchar device available?

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Aug 8 15:28:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:50:29PM -0400, James Olin Oden wrote:

> I have a system with the ST Micro M50FW080 firmware hub.  I have
> checked the source code and the jedec_probe module has detection code
> for that driver.  So I've done:

I'm not familiar with this device, but you appear to be missing a
mapping driver (see drivers/mtd/maps, the most common being "physmap").
You'll likely need to know the physical address and size of your flash
device.  Once addresses are known, then the xyz_probe routines will be
called to identify the device supposedly there.

I could be way off base, maybe the "firmware hub" works more magically.
My description is more for flash that is soldered on the board.

-R