What is recommended way to partition mtdram device - workaround

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 07:23:50 EDT 2007

MikeW <mw_phil <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I require a partitioned mtdram device for system emulation purposes.
>
> The documentation says that the ways to partition an MTD device are:
> 1) boot cmd line
> 2) table of data in device
> 3) create a map driver
>
> If mtdram is to be loaded with modprobe (desktop Linux), that rules out 1).
>
> So can I create partitions by dd-ing a partition table at the start of the
> device ?
> Can I create a map driver for the device to describe the partitions ?
>
> Thanks,
> MikeW

Finally used '--bind' mount option to remount different parts
of the current filesystem ('/opt/mtdblock0...n').

Allowed initial testing of the filesystem mounting and partition
allocation.

Just a simple compile-time #define to switch between
/opt/mtdblockN -> /dev/mtdblockN
flags=MS_BIND -> 0
fstype="" -> "JFFS2"

Good luck.