mtd-utils/flash_erase modifications

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Fri Oct 27 08:39:56 EDT 2006

Hello Ricard,

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:30 +0200, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> 1.
> Looking at the mtd-utils/flash_erase application (mtd-utils 1.0.1), and
> considering its use for nand flashes, there is no bad block management,
> i.e. if flash_erase hits a bad block, it exits with an error message.
> I would like to see (perhaps governed by an option) that it simply
> skips bad blocks.

Never used this utility, but granted you are saying the truth, you are
obviously right :-))

> 2.
> Furthermore, it would be nice to be able to disable the output of the
> program. As it stands, it outputs a line for each block/sector it erases.
> I would suggest a --verbose or -v option in order to enable this output.

Err, are you talking about flash_erase?

> 3.
> And finally, by default, the program only erases the first block, unless
> some options are given. If one wants to erase a whole mtd device or
> partition, the number of blocks must be known and given to flash_erase. It
> would be nice to have a default behavior, or perhaps using an option for
> backwards compatibility's sake, to simply erase the whole device.

There is flash_eraseall utility for this, isn't it? Although it may be
reasonable to have all this functionality in one utility/

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)