mtd-utils/flash_erase modifications

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Oct 27 08:30:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have a proposition for some changes to the flash_erase application from
mtd-utils:

1.
Looking at the mtd-utils/flash_erase application (mtd-utils 1.0.1), and
considering its use for nand flashes, there is no bad block management,
i.e. if flash_erase hits a bad block, it exits with an error message.
I would like to see (perhaps governed by an option) that it simply
skips bad blocks.

2.
Furthermore, it would be nice to be able to disable the output of the
program. As it stands, it outputs a line for each block/sector it erases.
I would suggest a --verbose or -v option in order to enable this output.

3.
And finally, by default, the program only erases the first block, unless
some options are given. If one wants to erase a whole mtd device or
partition, the number of blocks must be known and given to flash_erase. It
would be nice to have a default behavior, or perhaps using an option for
backwards compatibility's sake, to simply erase the whole device.

I don't mind getting to work on this myself, but I would like some
comments before I start implementing something that no one thinks is a
good idea.

/Ricard