Problem with developing Samsung K9F1G08U0A MTD driver

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Fri Oct 6 04:18:28 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:28:15PM -0700, z l wrote:

> > Ah, if the community is ready to please your expectations you
> > are willing to use a community kernel.
>
> It has nothing to do with pleasing or not.  Would you
> use something that is broken?

It does.

You are using a car from vendor A because vendor B's cars don't appeal
to you (which is fine), but then you come to a vendor B mechanic and
expect him to fix the problems with your vendor A car, for free.

When the vendor B mechanic tells you that he can only help you with
problems with your vendor B car, and asks you why you aren't driving
a vendor B car, you simply tell him that vendor B cars are broken, and
after that you believe:
- that he is still willing to help you with fixing a competitor's car
  after you've insulted his own employer's cars; and
- that he agrees with you that vendor B cars not appealing to you is a
  perfect reason for expecting vendor B mechanics to fix your vendor A
  car for you for free instead.

> > Go and blame Cirrus for their unwillingness to work with the
> > community.
>
> Maybe they are not actively involved in the
> development of latest kernel, but their code is open
> and available for anyone to pick and use.

That's like insisting that your vendor B garage should help you fix
your vendor A car for free even though you didn't buy it from them,
because "vendor A cars are readily available everywhere and everyone
can figure out how they work, including you."

> > This code was written by people with a trust in the
> > "Do ut des" basics
> > of Open Source and you sit there and wait until we
> > have done all the
> > work, so you can have your benefit ?
>
> If there is something I can contribute I would love to.

If you want the 2.6 community kernel to improve, tell Cirrus that
their upstream support is crap and put pressure on them to fix it.
They know what they have to do.

If you prefer to use the Cirrus kernel instead, please go to Cirrus
with your bug reports -- that's all we ask.

cheers,
Lennert