Mkfs.jffs2.c:68:21: sys/acl.h: No such file or directory

KaiGai Kohei kaigai at ak.jp.nec.com
Wed Nov 15 05:04:38 EST 2006

Hi,

>>     I am trying to build mtd-utils-1.0.1 using a mips cross
>> toolchain and I am stumbled at mkfs.jffs2 which includes sys/acl.h and
>> it is not present anywhere in my mips toolchain include directory but it
>> is present in my host /usr/include/sys/acl.h Has anybody encoutered this
>> problem before that you could enlighten me on this?
>
> We've encountered the same problem. I'll expose my ignorance here and
> say that all I know is that acl.h is used for some form of access
> control list feature that has been introduced to mkfs.jffs2, but I don't
> really know what it is for.

The access control list(ACL) enables higher flexible access control
based on UNIX users and groups than traditional user/group/others model.
'--with-xattr' or '--with-posix-acl' options on mkfs.jffs2 enables to
copy the ACLs associated with any files in host environment into jffs2
image file.
The purpose of this feature is improvement of security in embedded region.

> We didn't need this feature either so I made a patch to optionally
> remove it from the source, controlled by a #define; it is included as an
> attachment and in the text below. Don't know if this should really be
> included in the main stream source. Obviously at least two people have
> come up against this as a problem.

I don't oppose that you like to make the mkfs.jffs2 configurable.
But it is not certain whether you don't need to enable the ACL feature
_only_, or the whole of xattr feature.

'HAVE_ACL' is misnamed, if you intend to disable the whole of xattr
feature. Or, the scope of disabling is wrong, if you intend to disable
the ACL feature only.
In addition, it is a bit messy to require modifying the source code
to enable or disable xattr feature.

The attached patch enable mkfs.jffs2 to be configurable without any
modification of source code.
You will be able to get mkfs.jffs2 with no xattr support by the following
commands:

% cd mtd-utils
% make WITHOUT_XATTR=1

Thanks,
--
Open Source Software Promotion Center, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai at ak.jp.nec.com>