Duplication of dirent names in JFFS2 summary

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Fri May 19 02:05:59 EDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006 01:44:24 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> It's a little unfortunate that we have to actually keep a second copy of
> the name in the summary. Is there any way we could avoid it?
>
> One possibility might be to refrain from storing the name in the dirent
> node itself -- store it _only_ in the summary. This could happen only
> during garbage collection -- when we GC a dirent node, we could write it
> out _without_ its name. In fact, we could possibly refrain from writing
> the GC'd dirent to the log at all -- put it _only_ in the summary.
>
> That does break backwards compatibility though, which isn't ideal.

Worse, what happens if the power fails?  Do we block creat/mkdir/mknod
until summary is written?  Could be a long time.  Or do we return to
userspace and claim we've written everything while in fact we haven't?

I'd pick the other option.

Jörn

--
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has made a lot