[OT?] File system recommendation for SD cards

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Thu May 18 05:46:13 EDT 2006

Hi,

sorry if this is an ot question - I could not find an answer for this
question on the web.  Hope the question is not /too/ dumb, though...

I plan to use an SD card in an embedded system (arm9/Linux 2.6 based).
The SD card shall buffer measurement data files which are created about
every minute and are each ~20 kByte large.  On a regular basis, a remote
machine will load the files from the embedded system which in turn
unlinks them, thus creating a big "ring buffer".

After reading a Sandisk whitepaper about wear levelling [1] I thought
about using a standard vfat file system on it (mainly to have the
ability to remove the sd card and to read it on a Winbloze pc).
However, I read a report that using a sync vfat fs could lead to fast
corruption of the SD card [2].

Questions:
Would using JFFS2 on the SD card improve the lifetime of the device?
Does anyone have experiences about the achievable lifetime in my
scenario, for both vfat or jffs2?
How would I practically set up a jffs2 fs on the sd card?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Albrecht

[1]
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/OEM/WhitePapersAndBrochures/RS-MMC/WPaperWearLevelv1.0.pdf