MTD device with multiple regions & JFFS2

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:13:21 EDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Angelos Manousarides <amanous at inaccessnetworks.com> wrote:

> The code in mtdconcat does transfer the region info to the resulting
> device, I see a mtd device with 2 (or 4 regions). The partitioning code
> however does not. "numeraseregions" is 0 and "erasesize" is only used.
>
> While I was trying to fix the code in mtdpart.c, I discovered that this
> is futile. The JFFS2 code does not seem to support this as well. Only
> the "erasesize" is used there also. Does that mean that I cannot have a
> JFFS2 filesystem that spans across multiple block size flash space?

Were you trying to fix it for "correctness", or is there a real
problem here?  JFFS2 is known to work on Intel P30 chips without
requiring it to understand the multiple erasesizes.  The chip command
set driver should handle this.

Btw, you forgot to mention what kernel you're running.  I'm assuming a
fairly recent one since you didn't say you had to backport P30 support
or anything like that.

josh