MTD device with multiple regions & JFFS2

Angelos Manousarides amanous at inaccessnetworks.com
Fri Jun 30 08:31:36 EDT 2006

I have a system with intel P30 flash chips, which have 2 erase regions.
The system can have either 2 flash chips in one bank or 4 flash chips in
2 banks. I am using mtdconcat to join the two devices and have unified
access. I have a problem with the multiple erase sizes. The chips are of
"top" type which means that the last sectors have a smaller block size
than the others.

The code in mtdconcat does transfer the region info to the resulting
device, I see a mtd device with 2 (or 4 regions). The partitioning code
however does not. "numeraseregions" is 0 and "erasesize" is only used.

While I was trying to fix the code in mtdpart.c, I discovered that this
is futile. The JFFS2 code does not seem to support this as well. Only
the "erasesize" is used there also. Does that mean that I cannot have a
JFFS2 filesystem that spans across multiple block size flash space?

--
Angelos Manousaridis