JFFS2/xattr problems.

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Jun 14 17:58:35 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:13:17PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 June 2006 22:36:59 +0900, KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> >
> > >Seems you missed Ted's presentation at LCA this year.  Among the
> > >interesting bits:
> >
> > If this presentation is public, could you tell me the URL?
> > This indication is highly suggestive for me.
> > Especially, I have not imagine yet the possibility that
> > malware uses xattr to hide itself.
>
> I can only find the abstract:
> http://lca2006.linux.org.au/abstract.php?id=384
>
> [ adding Ted to Cc: ]
>
> Ted, do still have your foils and can make them available?  Kaigai-san
> is working on an xattr implementation for jffs2.

Sure, here you go (see attached)

> > >o The biggest user of Alternate Streams (less-limited versions of
> > >  xattr on Windows, Solaris, etc.) arguably is root kits.  Alternate
> > >  Streams have the advantage that tripwire etc. don't understand them
> > >  and won't look for malware there.
> > >o Some system administrators have no plans to upgrade to Solaris 9
> > >  ever, because it supports Alternate Streams.  The trouble of hidden
> > >  malware is not worth the gains.
> > >
> > >Notable was also, that Ted repeated the last two points in several
> > >variations.  Not sure if I would follow his line of thought 100%, but
> > >he does have a point.

See the article referenced in the slide, "Alternate Data Streams:
Threat or Menace?"

	http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=413685

(I love the title.  "Threat or Menace?"  "Menace or Threat?"  Or, to
take a line from an old Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon, "You got me
dead to rights, Doc.  Would you like to shoot him now or shoot him
later?"  :-)

						- Ted