[RFC] Make physmap into a platform device driver...

Ben Dooks ben at fluff.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 05:34:36 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:21:38PM -0800, Deepak Saxena wrote:

> I'm working on a system where I want to use the physmap driver
> but the size or buswidth of the flash device might change depending
> on the specific board layout. I want to be able to build a single kernel
> that boots on all boards using this NPU (IXP2350) and with the hardcoded
> approach to buswidth and such, it makes it rather impossible. On ARM
> platforms, we've been using the following data structure to pass
> board-specific flash information to the SOC-specific drivers and I
> am wondering if it makes sense to move it out of ARM into the generic
> MTD layer and have the physmap driver use it. The physmap driver
> could register itself as a platform driver for "phys-mtd" devices
> and boards would just fill in platform_device structure with the
> appropriate resource window and the needed fields below as the
> platform_data. We may want to trim down the structure to remove
> ARM-specific fields and let ARM have it's own structure that contains
> the generic structure as a member. Thoughts?

Several people have said they where going to modify the
plat-ram driver I wrote a while ago to support flash...

I think a number of the flash drivers currently in the
mtd system could be rolled into a generic mtd flash driver

--
Ben (ben at fluff.org, http://www.fluff.org/)

  'a smiley only costs 4 bytes'