[Yaffs] bit error rates --> YAFFS for devices with no OOB

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Feb 20 20:08:05 EST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 12:18, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> > Perhaps opening up YAFFS to those people would be valuable. Would you
> > like to see YAFFS run on your non-oob board?
>
> At least for a test.

OK, I'll start investigating an OOB-less YAFFS and give that a priority
depending on the amount of interest. Hint to everyone: If this sounds
interesting, respond (on or off list), especially if you'd like to be
involved in some way.

I think a final solution that exploits OOB if it is available but will work if
OOB is not available would be best. That way:
1) People could use YAFFS on a wider variety of flash types (inc OneNAND etc)
without using OOB.
2) If you have OOB, and drivers set up to use it, and wish to use it, then you
will likely get some performance gains due to page alignment etc.

-- CHarles