Transfer rates with NAND

Enrico Migliore enrico.migliore at fatti.com
Thu Dec 21 11:30:43 EST 2006

Indrek Kruusa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering which NAND transfer rates are seen in embedded Linux
> projects. What to expect from the whole hardware/software subsystem?
> I have one Geode LX design with CS5536 companion chip which by using
> built-in 8-bit Flash controller on PCI bus gives me slightly over 2MB/s.
> It's almost the same with Linux MTD driver and with a self-made basic
> driver. Is the speed here the matter of flash controller only? Which is
> the fastest flash controller out there? :)
>
> thanks in advance,
> Indrek

Hi Indrek,

 the data transfer from the NAND to the CPU and viceversa depends on:

 1. NAND bus maximum speed
 2. CPU's bus controller speed (*) and its configuration
 3. Read or Write operarations

The overhead added by the MTD layer or any other well written driver is
irrelevant.

(*) I mean the bus that access the NAND which might not be the same bus
that access the RAM

Enrico