Issue with h/w ecc based NAND driver.

Han Chang posaune at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 14:12:31 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I'm using a NAND with h/w ecc. When a block is erased, both main data and
oob are set to 0xff, and if the driver read the main data in the page with
hardware enabled ecc, the 0xff in the oob is not the right ecc code, so the
ecc mechanism in the h/w try to recover the error and trash the content in
the main data area.

I tried to set the right ecc code in the oob for every page whenever a block
is erased. But then the problem is with page programming. When write a page,
the h/w ecc controller generates the ecc code and write it to the oob, since
the oob is already written once during erase, the 2nd write to the oob is
not taken well. So when read back the same page, it causes ecc error again.

I would appreciate very much if someone can shed some light on this kind of
delimma.

Thanks,
Han