Mounting large JFFS2 causes other process to stop running!

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Mon Sep 5 02:44:59 EDT 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 04:42, Benny Chen wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have this problem, where when I mount a large JFFS2 partition (5M),
> nothing else seems to be running.  The jffs2 routines seems to have the
> processor all for itself.

What version of mtd/kernel are you using and on what hardware?

> I am aware that JFFS2 takes a long time to mount large partitions. But
> to have no process running during the mount duration is a little funny.

This sounds indeed funny.... almost tragic.
I have seen several minute-long stalls due to either mounting or GC, but all
processes that are not dependant on that partition keep running nicely.
The only processes that suffer from such a thing are those that want to access
the partition immediately, so mounting the root partition in rw-mode for
example, is something to avoid because any given day GC can kick in right
after mount, and then booting up can take veeery looong.

Greetings,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.