MTD for Intel Strata L18 Flash

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Thu May 12 07:57:41 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 16:40 +0530, Niraj Maheshwari wrote:
> After booting the kernel,  when i try to mount the JFFS2 partition
> from flash, it works fine and it's empty.
>

> Write of 68 bytes at 0x0054000c failed. returned -30, retlen 0
> Not marking the space at 0x0054000c as dirty because the flash driver returned r
> etlen zero
> cp: unable to open `disc/issue': Read-only file system
> *******************************************************************************************
>
> Pl. note that Same Kernel Image and ramdisk works fine with Intel W18
> (28F128W18) flash but doesn't work with Intel Strata L18 (28F256L18)
> flash.
>
> Can anyone tell me what could be the issue as both the flashes are CFI
> compliant ?

-30 is -EROFS.  That seems to indicate that the chip(s) is/are write
protected at the time you are trying to do the write.

I don't have the datasheets for those chips around, but there are some
Intel chips that power-on with all the eraseblocks locked.  That is
probably what you are seeing.  You'll need to unlock them before you can
write.

josh