MTD for Intel Strata L18 Flash

Niraj Maheshwari niraj.maheshwari at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:10:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am using Linux Kernel 2.6.10 and enabled the JFFS2 file system in the kernel.
Flash has a partition ( 0xA0980000 ) which will be used for JFFS2 and
it's erased.

After booting the kernel,  when i try to mount the JFFS2 partition
from flash, it works fine and it's empty.

When i try to copy any data to mounted partition then it gives following error.

[root at Linux /]$ mount
/dev/ram0 on / type cramfs (ro)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock0 on /disc type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
[root at Linux /]$ cp etc/issue disc/
Write error in obliterating obsoleted node at 0x00540000: -30
Write of 68 bytes at 0x0054000c failed. returned -30, retlen 0
Not marking the space at 0x0054000c as dirty because the flash driver returned r
etlen zero
Write of 68 bytes at 0x0054000c failed. returned -30, retlen 0
Not marking the space at 0x0054000c as dirty because the flash driver returned r
etlen zero
cp: unable to open `disc/issue': Read-only file system

Pl. note that Same Kernel Image and ramdisk works fine with Intel W18
(28F128W18) flash but doesn't work with Intel Strata L18 (28F256L18)
flash.

Can anyone tell me what could be the issue as both the flashes are CFI
compliant ?

Thanks in advance
Niraj