Flash chips detected?

S. van Beek nlv11891 at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Mar 24 05:55:00 EST 2005

Hi there

Im a student working on embedded linux on a fpga board with powerpc core and
some flash.
I compiled my kernel (montavista linux 3.1 -> kernel 2.4.20) with mtd
support. During boot I see the following messages concerning flash / mtd:

physmap flash device: 400000 at 81000000
CFI: Found no phys_mapped_flash device at location zero
JEDEC: Found no phys_mapped_flash device at location zero

And:

Creating 2 MTD partitions on "phys_mapped_flash":
0x00000000-0x00080000 : "reserved"
ftl_cs: FTL header not found.
0x00080000-0x00400000 : "flashdisk"
ftl_cs: FTL header not found.

But this confuses me. First i see the message 'Found no phys_mapped_flash
device at location zero' but then still some partitions are created
Are there any flash chips detected or not?

If I look at my /proc/mtd, I do see those two partitions there, but trying
to unlock / format them gives me an errors:

# ftl_format /dev/mtd0
open failed: Permission denied

# flash_unlock  /dev/mtd0
Could not open mtd device: /dev/mtd0