mtd permission denied

Aras Vaichas arasv at magellan-technology.com
Tue Mar 22 18:23:31 EST 2005

Aras Vaichas wrote:
> Mike Lee wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>   i tried to flash_erase and other flash_* tools to my mtd device, the
>> return value is permission denied, but i am already root login. I have
>> selected MTD_CHAR and MTD_BLOCK in kernel.  Do i miss somethings?
> This is spookey, I just got the exact same problem at the same time(!)
>
> I'm trying to write data to my Dataflash device, but I get a "permission
> denied" error whenever I try to fopen the file "/dev/mtd/2" to write the
> data into it. I can read data from it with no problems.

Sorry to answer my owns post ... but Mike gave me a hint as to what the problem
was.

Mike had MTD_WRITEABLE set in the mask_flags for his partitions, so they were
read-only.

My "permission denied" was caused because I'd left the default Dataflash
partition settings in at91_dataflash.c from the MTD backporting work I did last
year. The default settings don't honour erase block boundaries and thus the
partitions were being mounted "read only". Silly me didn't look at dmesg ...

regards,

Aras