Re; MTD (2) Block Driver broken

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Mar 8 06:05:31 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 10:24 +0000, Gareth Bult wrote:
> Like many mailers, mine prefers to send HTML by default.

I think you'll find it's configurable.

>  Occasionally one will forget one is posting to a list where people
> have some sort of religious objection to html and forget to uncheck
> the appropriate buttons to format as pure text.

I don't have a religious objection to HTML. Like I said, there's little
cause to prefer HTML over plain text for list traffic (and indeed for
most email), and most of the HTML we reject is spam -- being HTML is a
fairly good indicator of spam.

I spend a _lot_ of time reading email each day, and almost none of it is
HTML -- it's plain text, in a typeface I have carefully selected to be
easily readable. HTML mail renders differently and is thus harder to
read. Not a _lot_ harder, mind you, but it's unfamiliar enough that it
causes me to stop and look rather than just taking in what it says at a
glance. Mostly I don't actually stop and look; mostly I just delete it.

I _could_ spend some of my time on decoding gratuitously HTML-encoded
mail, or I could spend all of my available time on the people who can be
bothered to be polite. My time is limited enough at the moment anyway
that I really don't want to waste it.

--
dwmw2