Re; MTD (2) Block Driver broken

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Mon Mar 7 17:01:38 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 March 2005 21:46:20 +0000, Gareth Bult wrote:

> > If you insist, I can remove the driver completely and rewrite it from
> > scratch, with none of your code remaining.  Tell me to do so and I
> > will.
>
> Insist? I didn't either mention or suggest it (!)

Good.

> One issue you might like to be aware of ..
>
> To use blkmtd as a module, you do;
>
> modprobe blkmtd device=/dev/sda1 (for example)
>
> For block2mtd, you do;
>
> modprobe block2mtd block2mtd=/dev/sda1 (I think..)

Correct.

> Anyone who's coded up an initrd for example would have to recode for
> both a different driver name and a different parameter name. (which
> incidentally isn't immediately obvious)
>
> It might (?) make sense to have the new driver replace the old (as an
> option, rather than have a new name) and use the same parameter name ..
> just as a general principle so people don't have to go and recode to
> match the driver upgrade (?)
>
> .. the "write" speed on the new driver is > 100x faster than the old ..
> I was unable to think of a practical use for the old driver .. (!)

The old driver also got the interface wrong.  In your example, with
just a single device to use, it doesn't matter.  But once you deal
with several devices, the old variant really sucks.  That is why I
changed it (and why I renamed the driver).

That said, I would like to agree with you.  If the new driver could
mimikri the old one, that would be a clear advantage.  The question
is, how can both advantages - better interface and compatibility - be
combined.  At the moment, I don't have an answer, but I'll keep
thinking about it.

Jörn

--
The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to
love, and something to hope for.