Re; MTD (2) Block Driver broken

Gareth Bult gareth at linux.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:57:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 20:21 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 20:00 +0100, Jörn Engel wrote:
> > o You want your name removed.
> > o You will have your name removed.
> > o I'm left wondering why you submitted the code in the first place.
>
> Er, because he'd done the work and figured it might be useful to others.
> For which we are grateful, Gareth. Please don't be discouraged. You
> aren't obliged to maintain the code for ever just because you posted it
> once.

Oh, I'm not discouraged. What I have works for now.

I did a fair bit of work while writing the driver and had every
intention of tidying it up, commenting it etc etc.

Then I got an email from the list telling me that what I'd posted was
unacceptable and had been rejected. Furthermore it was telling me what I
could and couldn't post and how I should format my emails and
effectively, that I should read and follow a set of posting instructions
specific to the linux-mtd list.

All things considered. I was offended.

My choice was to leave the list and spend my time elsewhere.

I'm an unpaid / full time Linux "developer", I have no problem
(generally) maintaining the code I write.

> It is common for people to want to take credit for their work -- and
> thankfully it's not so common for us to screw it up for them immediately
> after they submit it either :)

Sure, generally I have no problem taking credit for my work. However I
made it fairly clear (I thought) to Jorn at the time that I wanted
nothing more to do with it.

> However, if you really want your name removed from the driver, that's
> perfectly OK with us. I would normally be inclined to follow the lead
> set in lib/vsprintf.c and leave your name in it in such a way that it's
> clear you're not to blame if it doesn't work (grep for 'portably') but
> it's your call.

Well, my inclination is to go with "please remove it".

My priority is working code, working documentation and working Linux.

To reject posts from a developer because he's formatted an email in such
a way that it doesn't conform to someone's idea of a perfect posting,
just beggars belief.

Gareth.

--
Linux.co.uk - promoting open source software in the UK
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then