NAND flash question

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com
Mon Jun 27 17:57:20 EDT 2005

Charles,
> I am using an ST Micro 64M byte x 8 bit flash part and JFFS2.  It mostly works
> except that when the board reboots, JFFS2 reports CRC error messages when the
> partition mounts again.  The strange part is that there does not seem to be
> any data corruption or lost data.  Also, I do not see any error messages
> while reading and writing.  However, the CRC errors seem to accumulate over
> time.  Is there some way to prevent this from happening?  Repair it?  Should
> I just ignore it?

In my experience these "errors" occur if you switch of the power without
proper shutdown. They are not errors really, just notes from JFFS2 that
some write was interrupted by power cycle or reset and the node written is
invalid. It is annoying but harmless. I believe they eventually go away
after the block is reclaimed by GC.

Sergei