suggestion on use of linux-mtd

Andre andre at rocklandocean.com
Tue Jun 14 13:01:25 EDT 2005

Sergei Sharonov <sergei.sharonov <at> halliburton.com> writes:

> You may forget about jffs2 on such large flashes. Depending on the size of the
> writes that filled the disk it will take anywhere from ten minutes to hours
> to mount jffs2. The only other alternative that uses mtd is yaffs. It does
> mount significantly faster, but the user base is small and there is no active
> development going on (as far as I can tell).

ok, I will not pursue jffs2.

> > What exactly does one get with *just* NFTL, i.e. does it makes sense to run
> > ext3 on top of NFTL? Is NFTL production ready?
>
> Are you going to power cycle your nftl+ext3 setup? I would be
> interested in results.

Yes, as soon as I find out the state of NFTL. I got a little scared by the
following comment in the howto:

quote: "DO NOT EVER USE THE nftl_format UTILITY WITHOUT FIRST SEEKING ADVICE
ON THE MAILING LIST. It will erase all blocks on the device,
potentially losing the factory-programmed information about bad
blocks. (Someone really ought to fix it one of these days - ed)"

Does NFTL include wear leveling and/or bad block remapping?