NAND fail testing

David A. Marlin dmarlin at redhat.com
Thu Jan 13 13:11:43 EST 2005

Charles:

Thank you for your reply.  Some additional information, the chips I am
using are Renesas AG-AND (HN29V1G91T-30).  It was a note from Renesas
that suggested this approach to permit erase/write fail testing.  I
think this chip permits a "Random Data Input" operation that would
permit writing a single byte, but I need to confirm this.  Since this
does not appear to be a feature shared with other NAND/AND chips, it
seems I may not be able to use our current driver/utilities to
accomplish it (without modification).

Charles Manning wrote:
> I suggest you read the Toshiba NAND design guide before you try things like
> this. Google for "toshiba nand flash applications design guide"
>
> NAND is always written in a per-page mode, even if you only change a single
> byte. Attempting what you propose will not only wear the single byte, but
> will wear the whole page and block.
>
> IMHO the best way to do testing is to emulate a device in RAM. It is
> relatively simple to modify RAM contents and force the higher level to do its
> test stuff. Trying to do it with a real hardware failure will take a long
> time and is far harder to reproduce etc.

Agreed, but part of the testing is reading error status information back
from the chips after the erase/write fail and determining if hardware
ECC is possible.  I have not tried to emulate this device in RAM, but I
don't think it is a viable option for me since producing and reading
these error codes are part of the testing I need to perform.

Thanks again,

d.marlin