NAND fail testing

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Jan 13 12:52:38 EST 2005

I suggest you read the Toshiba NAND design guide before you try things like
this. Google for "toshiba nand flash applications design guide"

NAND is always written in a per-page mode, even if you only change a single
byte. Attempting what you propose will not only wear the single byte, but
will wear the whole page and block.

IMHO the best way to do testing is to emulate a device in RAM. It is
relatively simple to modify RAM contents and force the higher level to do its
test stuff. Trying to do it with a real hardware failure will take a long
time and is far harder to reproduce etc.