JFFS2: mount time, SUMMARY and gc.c ?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Jan 10 04:02:04 EST 2005

Josh Boyer wrote:

>>Well but "in background" means 99.9% of cpu time!
>>And this slows down the start up of important user applications.
>
> That's odd...  IIRC the thread schedules itself after every call to
> jffs2_garbage_collect_pass.  By how much are the startup of these apps
> delayed?  If it's using 99.9% of the cpu, maybe there is nothing else
> that your system can do at that particular point?

Ok. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. It consumes much time. But it seems to share it
with my application. Shortly after boot I see something like 70-80% for gc and
20% for my app. But this changes after a few seconds.

VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 76K

<6 seconds pause>

init started:  BusyBox v1.00 (2005.01.04-08:42+0000) multi-call binary
<1 seconds pause>
Please press Enter to activate this console.

After this gc is still running.

--
Steven Scholz