JFFS2: mount time, SUMMARY and gc.c ?

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 7 15:31:24 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:11, Steven Scholz wrote:
> Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
>
> >>But still why is it done everytime I boot my target?
> >
> > This is how JFFS2 implemented. It skips nodes CRC checking during mount
> > and does this lated in background. Actually, you can't write anything to
> > your flash untill the GC thread (jffs2_gcd_mtd0) have not completed
> > checking. But you may read from JFFS2 during that checking process.
>
> Well but "in background" means 99.9% of cpu time!
> And this slows down the start up of important user applications.

That's odd...  IIRC the thread schedules itself after every call to
jffs2_garbage_collect_pass.  By how much are the startup of these apps
delayed?  If it's using 99.9% of the cpu, maybe there is nothing else
that your system can do at that particular point?

> Would it help to enable CONFIG_PREEMPT?

Maybe...  but since the thread tries to schedule itself already, I'm not
sure by how much.

josh