MTD JFFS2 Problems

Jeff Stevens jsteve17 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 11:18:31 EST 2005

I am trying to create a jffs2 filesystem, and it seems
to be very flakey.  I have tried creating a jffs2
filesystem using mkfs.jffs2 and then copy it directly
to /dev/mtd0, but when I try to mount it I get a bunch
of errors, and when it finally mounts, the filesystem
acts weird.  So now I am trying a different approach,
where I mount an erased mtdblock0 as jffs2 and then
untar a filesystem on the mounted device.  However,
when I do this it seems to crap out at various points
in the filesystem (I have tried it many times).  Here
is a screen dump:

[root at gtvme ~]# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0
/mnt/root
[root at gtvme ~]# cd /mnt/root/
[root at gtvme root]# ls
./  ../
[root at gtvme root]# tar xf /gtvmefs.tar
Write of 1170 bytes at 0x01fa000c failed. returned
-30, retlen 374
Write of 1170 bytes at 0x01fa04a0 failed. returned
-30, retlen 288
Write of 1170 bytes at 0x01fa0934 failed. returned
-30, retlen 740
Write of 2765 bytes at 0x01fa125c failed. returned
-30, retlen 326
Write of 2765 bytes at 0x01fa1d2c failed. returned
-30, retlen 1032
Write of 2765 bytes at 0x01fa27fc failed. returned
-30, retlen 862
Write of 2765 bytes at 0x01fa32cc failed. returned
-30, retlen 116
tar: Write Error: Read-only file system
tar: Invalid tar magic
[root at gtvme root]# Write clean marker to block at
0x00a20000 failed: -30
Write clean marker to block at 0x00820000 failed: -30

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I seem to be able
to copy things to flash just fine using dd, and
flashcp.  Please help!

Thanks,
   Jeff Stevens