ichxrom driver question

Dave Peterson dsp at llnl.gov
Tue Dec 20 19:42:05 EST 2005

I attempted to flash the BIOS on a machine with an Intel 82801CA
(ICH3-S) I/O Controller Hub as follows:

    # modprobe ichxrom
    # modprobe mtdchar
    # mtd_unlock /dev/mtd0
    # mtd_eraseall /dev/mtd0
    Erased 512 Kibyte @ 0 -- 100% complete.
    # dd if=bios_image of=/dev/mtd0
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    # dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=result
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    # mtd_lock /dev/mtd0 0 -1

After doing the above, I examind the file 'result' and all it
contains is a bunch of zero bytes.  Thus the BIOS flashing operation
appears to have failed (I confirmed this by attempting to reboot, and
sure enough, the BIOS appears to have been wiped out).

I did this using the version of the ichxrom driver from the 2.6.9
kernel.  Looking briefly at this code in comparison to a more recent
version of the code from the 2.6.14.4 kernel, it looks like
substantial changes have been made.

So my question is, are there known problems with the version of the
ichxrom driver in the 2.6.9 kernel, and if so, have the problems
been fixed in later kernels?  Also, are there any known issues with
the ICH3-S that may explain the behavior I observe?  When replying,
please cc dsp at llnl.gov.

Thanks,
Dave