Do I have to umount JFFS2?

Peter Menzebach pm-mtd at mw-itcon.de
Thu Dec 15 07:51:18 EST 2005

Steven Scholz wrote:
> Jarkko Lavinen wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:12:31AM +0100, ext Steven Scholz wrote:
>>
>>> Now I wonder if it is needed to umount this partition explicitly before
>>> rebooting? Or mount it read only first by having
>>
>> JFFS2 is synhronous except for the write buffer (used with Nand chips).
>> Doing sync is enough and flushes the write buffer.
>
> Is "sync()" done by the kernel before reboot? Or do I have to call "sync"?

Hi Steven,
afaik,
and this this is inline with my experience, you have call sync before
reboot.
Since I write only complete files to jffs2, I reduced the timer, which
flushes the write buffer automatically from 3 seconds to 500 ms.
In that case, I normally get no errors even in case of a hard reset.

Otherwise I get some "found empty flash at" and some CRC errors. The
filesystem as whole should remain in a stable state in any case (that's
the main reason apart from wear levelling for jffs2, I think)

Best regards
Peter

--
Peter Menzebach