jffs2 and nand mtd

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Thu Aug 11 05:42:20 EDT 2005

Hi Alex,

>>We don't know how to find real date of snapshot but
>>we follow stages for 2.4 kernels mentioned in
>>http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html#kernelversions
>>
>>/...
>>cd mtd/
>>/cvs update -dP -D 2005-03-04
>>
>>And then apply some patch which we found at list archive to make
>>*getlink* works for JFFS2.
> Well, there is a note that this snapshot doesn't have to work:
--- 8< 8< 8< ---
> I'll glance at this. But in general me (and most MTD folks I know) are
> *not* interested in digging old MTD/JFFS2.

> The best would be if you would adopt the *latest* MTD snapshot to your
> kernel. Martin Egholm Nielsen <martin at egholm-nielsen.dk> recently ported
> the latest MTD snapshot to a 2.4 kernel. You may ask him for a
> patch/help.
I'll help - I don't think I can create a patch that'll work directly, so
let's see if we can get CVS HEAD up and running - step by step...

1 )Start by fetching the source from CVS
(http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/source.html)

2) Patch it in - enter the patches directory and run the patchin.sh
script...

3) Configure the kernel for JFFS2

( 3½) If "non-standard" board, change the "proper" (vague - I know) mtd
Makefile to include the flash-driver for your system...)

4) Try making a new kernel - this will certainly fail, since many of the
macro's checking (and fixing) for kernel less than 2.6 has been removed...

To fix the many errors in 4), you can actually compare the complaining
files from HEAD with the ones from 2005-03-04. Many, if not all, the
required macro's are there.
Otherwise, I can try to see if I can create a patch/diff output stating
the differences.
Or, finally, you can post the errors here, or privately (not so noisy,
but others may benefit - even if 2.4 is abandoned :-)), and we can
fix'em together...

BR,
  Martin