Bricking and debricking

Joshua Wise joshua at joshuawise.com
Sun Sep 19 22:15:29 EDT 2004

Okay, so, good news and bad news.

Good news first: I can successfully brick an iPAQ.

wiseguy586 at bluefire /mnt/raid/iPAQ/linux/debrick/hamcop $ ./hamcop -b
Found HAMCOP on h2210
Now bricking...
Successfully bricked your iPAQ. Enjoy your new doorstop.
wiseguy586 at bluefire /mnt/raid/iPAQ/linux/debrick/hamcop $

-b (Brick) erases the first sector of flash. You must first brick before
you can unbrick. (Actually, this is a bit strange. I expected -b to
erase the first 16k of flash, although it only erased the first 528 bytes.)

Bad news second: I can't quite seem to unbrick it.

There's code in CVS to send what should be the write commands, but it
seems to write only 0x00. Oddly enough, it seems to be consistent with
the number of bytes I send (i.e., if I send 256 bytes, I get 256 0s and
the rest FF, if I send 512, I get 512 0s, and if I send 528 bytes, I get
all 0s), but the data just isn't there. The flash part reports that all
went okay with the program, so there might be a problem with actually
transporting the data to the device over JTAG.

Thoughts? CC'ing to mtd list too.

joshua