Erasebug on AMD flashes

David Vrabel dvrabel at arcom.com
Thu Mar 18 05:25:17 EST 2004

dkey wrote:

> we are using jffs2 on the dbox2 and AMD flash chips, but since rev. 1.96 of
> cfi_cmdset_0002.c we can't erase the flashes. rev. 1.94 works without
> problems.

"since 1.96" doesn't make sense.  Any breakage would be from 1.95.

> here are some debug infos, tell me if you need more!

Part numbers of the flash chips and their configuration (interleaved etc.).

> would be please if anybody can take a look over the code or revert revision of
> cfi_cmdset_0002.c to 1.94.

There's no reason why you can't revert to 1.94 yourself.

FWIW, I'm now of the opinion that chip_status() is definately broken for
interleaved chips and probably cannot be made to work without ending up
with a mess.

I would suggest using the data polling algorithm instead (where applicable).

Also, ignoring the internal flash timeout (DQ5 toggling) and instead
relying on the software timeout might be acceptable.  However, a
repeatedly suspended erase keeps getting its software timeout extended
and thus there is a possibility of the software timeout never occuring.
  Hmmm.  An internal timeout requires a chip reset and thus we can't
actually suspend an internally timed-out erase so the software timeout
won't be extended.

David Vrabel
--
David Vrabel, Design Engineer

Arcom, Clifton Road           Tel: +44 (0)1223 411200 ext. 3233
Cambridge CB1 7EA, UK         Web: http://www.arcom.com/