can only save empty files

libber at deathgrab.com libber at deathgrab.com
Fri Mar 5 18:15:37 EST 2004

Greetings, I am trying to get a read/write partition working for the
linksys WRT54G. To this end I have created a new partition which is the
correct size and is alinged on erase-block bounderies and such, I have
crosscompiled most of the programs in util from cvs. All should be well,
but alas it is not, I can erase my new partition (this is an amd flash
chip on a broadcom board if that changes things) and erasing works, I can
mount the partition rw which works. the really strange thing is that when
I write an empty file ('touch blah') and unmount or reboot or whatnot, the
file is saved and is there when I remount the partition. But if a file is
created that actuially has information in it then it is not saved. I have
no idea what the problem is here but I find it very strange, I have also
tried mkfs.jffs2 with the output going to the block device and that does
not work, I have also tried making an image with mkjfs.jffs2 and dding the
image to the device /dev/mtdblock/4 and that also does not work. This
might not even be related to jffs2 and is a problem with the driver for
the flash chip or something else,I am just hoping my post here will help
illuminate the problem. I am using kernel 2.4. I would be happy to provide
more information as needed.

Thanks for your time,
Libber