JFFS2 Flash Filesystem corrupted

Billalabeitia, Jose Carlos (GE Consumer & Industrial) jc.billalabeitia at ge.com
Tue Jul 20 14:18:39 EDT 2004

	Hi:

	I have a custom board with the following features:

		CPU MPC860T (PowerPC)
		16 MB of FLASH (2 29LV650UE (4Mx16 bit) compatible JEDEC & CFI )
		16 MB of RAM
		linux-2.4.4-2002-02-14-denx
		linux-2.4.4-jffs2-2002-05-01.patch for the JFFS2 (basically improve GC performace)

	We have experienced in a very few occasions, in fact only twice or three times, a weird problem.
Our application are composed of multiple excutable and module files that are started and insmoded
respectively one by one during the boot up process. After a system rebooting everything was fine
and we got the app running, therefore executable and module files were right.
However one day after a rebooting we realized that the app. didn´t go and we check the integrity of the
excutable and module files by comparing them with the original ones, and we discovered that 4Kbytes of
executable module file were replaced with all zeros.

	Due to the low probability of this type of problem that we have encountered it makes me think
that it might be a hardware problem, but in this case I can´t find a good explanation for it.

	Another thing that surprises me is that the filesystem says that that file is OK, so I suppose
then that the CRCs of the nodes were the zeros are located are correct, so my suspect is that those
zeros were put intentionally.

	On the other hand that file never changes so I think that the only one responsible for moving
those data would be the GC when the "wear levelling" process. Any ideas?

									Thank you
										Billa