JFFS2 mount time

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 15 19:15:40 EST 2004

Gareth Bult (Encryptec) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on the MTD block driver for JFFS2 and now seem to have
> a relatively stable environment with a JFFS2 root filesystem on a USB
> flash key device.
> (mtd block device speed now approximates actual device speed on both
> read and write)

I assume you mean blkmtd here.  The mtdblock driver is used to present
an IDE type interface to flash, whereas blkmtd is used to present a
flash interface to an IDE type device.

> It seems to be much quicker (generally) than the previous ext2
> incarnation.
>
> However, I'm looking at 30secs to mount the root filesystem.

How big of a device?

> a. Is it possible (conceptually) to background the mount scan so the
> system can boot while the scan happens ?

Which version of the code are you using?  Mount time has been
significantly improved in newer versions of the code.

> b. Is there an easy way to bypass the scan and does JFFS3 do this ?

Not that I know of, because the code needs to read the node information
in order to get the versioning of inodes, etc. correct.

JFFS3 is essentially the exact same code base as JFFS2 right now.  It
was just forked about a week ago.

josh