supporting DiskOnChip G3

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Dec 15 05:24:47 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:12 +0400, Ara Avanesyan wrote:
> David,
>
> thanks for the answer.
> the documentation is the easiest part;)
> http://www.m-systems.com/files/documentation/doc/DOC_G3_512Mb_1Gb_Rev2.0.pdf

Oh, that's interesting. They always used to be very cagey about their
documentation. I'm glad to see they're making progress -- at first
glance it looks like we ought to be able to support the device with that
information.

That would be enough for using YAFFS or JFFS2 on it; if the translation
layer isn't INFTL (as I suspect it isn't) then we'd also need docs on
the new translation layer too, if we want to use it in DOS-compatible
mode.

> so now you have the doc, means you have plans to support it?:)

Yeah -- given some sample hardware and a few spare weeks of spare time,
I'd be happy to play :)

It shouldn't be _that_ hard to make a driver for it which uses the core
NAND code. See the existing drivers/mtd/nand/diskonchip.c for
inspiration and turn up on #mtd of irc.freenode.net. If you're willing
and capable then we can help you do it -- but if it turns out to be as
much work to talk you through it as it would be to do it ourselves, then
it's not going to work too well :)

--
dwmw2