zlib versions

david stevenson david at avoncliff.com
Fri Oct 31 13:49:09 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 4:12 pm, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 21:03 +0000, david stevenson wrote:
> > Could someone please educate me on zlib?
> >
> > I can compile kernel 2.4.21 with MTD updated from tarball 20031021 with
> > jff2 with no errors.
> > But when I try and compile the utils from the same tar ball, using the
> > same kernel headers I get error file not found zlib.h.
>
> Do you have the zlib-devel package installed? Are you compiling natively
> or cross-compiling?

I am cross compiling - well actually it is from pentium to i386.

I do not know about zlib-devel, which probably means I don't have it.
But the kernel code includes include/linux/zlib.h which is included by
/fs/jffs2/compr_zlib.c and this compiles OK. So I assumed I had all that was
needed.

However in the util tree compr_zlib.c is looking for include/zlib.h, and I
belive a different version.

If I need to get zlib-devel can you give a reference to where I get it from as
I have seen confusing alternatives.

Thanks
David