UnitSizeFactor of != 1

Stephen Lee splee at plexio.com
Sat Mar 22 22:15:18 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 16:39, Mark Meade wrote:
> On Saturday 22 March 2003 05:12 pm, Stephen Lee wrote:
>
> > 1. Formatted the DOC with "dformat /win:D000 /s:doc524.exb". There were
> > no apparent errors.
> > 2. Rebooted under Redhat7.1 with a stock 2.4.20 kernel with the
> > following kernel config settings:
>
> <snip>
>
> > NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.85 $, nftlmount.c $Revision: 1.25 $
> > NFTL_notify_add for DiskOnChip 2000
> > NFTL_setup
> > Sorry, we don't support UnitSizeFactor of != 1 yet.
>
> <snip>
>
> > My question is whether "dformat /win:D000 /s:doc524.exb" should have
> > been sufficient to get DOC recognized correctly by the kernel or do I
> > have to run ntfl_format? If ntfl_format is required, can I simply fdisk
> > and format as a fat12 partition under linux?
>
> Stephen,
>
> With the 2.40.20 kernel, nftl_format is not required if you use the earlier
> version of the DiskOnChip DFORMAT utility (version 4.2).  This is still
> available at m-sys.com.
>
> By default, dformat creates a fat12 partition that should be recognized under
> Linux.
>
> Either way, if the nftl device is recognized, you should be able to run fdisk
> and format as fat12, ext2, etc.

Thanks Mark. I had a problem with V4.2 DFORMAT not allowing me to boot
from the C: drive (Linux) as the DOC would always take over booting if
the floppy was not inserted - even with the bios set to boot only from A
or C (primary master). DINFO showed the DOC mapped as D drive. In the
end, I DFORMATted with 5.12, used nftl_format (took at least 1/2hr for
32Meg!), fdisked as 1 fat12 partition and then formatted with
mkfs.msdos. On to PeeWee Linux!

Thanks,
Stephen