DQ5 & DQ6 in chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c (Dairy Queen 5 warning)

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Mon Mar 17 10:40:30 EST 2003

--=-64s8WUTVLomH51lxT+h7

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 09:27, Steve Wahl wrote:
> Thayne,=20
>=20
> I have a patch that I was given permission to check in, but never got
> around to it, that covers a similar "DQ5 raised" problem.

Speaking of never getting around to things - I'm finally replying to
your email.

> I would wager you are running into the same problem I did, and that
> your chips compatibly support DQ5, if not as a watchdog, at least by
> holding it low while programming.

I have sent email to PMC and the official response is that the _only_
bits that reflect erase/write operation status are I/O7 and I/O6
(effectively DQ7 and DQ6).  I/O7 is inverted data during the operation
and I/O6 toggles.  The PMC response was that AMD status bits aren't
supported.  In practice, however, DQ5 is low during erase/write
operations.  I am uneasy about using undocumented features.

> Can you look at my previous posts on this, try my patch (if you don't
> have interleaved chips -- contact me if you do),

No, I don't have interleaved chips.

> and see if it works
> for you?
>=20
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2003-January/006780.html

I have looked through your patch and agree that it addresses a legal
state that currently triggers a warning and should not.  I do know,
however, that several manufactures recommend that the final status
should be checked an additional two times before a success is reported.