Reliability of NAND JFFS2 vs YAFFS for Embedded Systems

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jun 13 02:02:41 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 01:05, Chris wrote:
> I was hoping that anyone who had some experience with JFFS2 and YAFFS NAND
> devices could give a good idea of the reliability of both filesystems.  I
> have attempted the JFFS2 filesystem on Toshiba NAND TC58256AFT with some
> success but have encountered CRC errors when rebooting or interrupting
> power during writing.

Yes, of course you do. That's what the CRC is _for_ -- to detect nodes
which were partially-written due to such circumstances.

Do you actually see corruption or are you just complaining about the
verbosity of the file system?

> I am considering moving to the YAFFS filesystem due to reliablity
> concerns, but I am also wondering if YAFFS will have its own can of
> worms.  I would like to have reliability, performance and space but
> reliability is the most important concern.
>
> Does anyone have experience with testing reliability of both
> configurations?
> If so what were the resutls?

There's been powerfail testing done on JFFS2 on NOR; not yet for NAND
and there are some known corner cases which need sorting out before I
really undertake that.

--
dwmw2