Reliability of NAND JFFS2 vs YAFFS for Embedded Systems

Chris csperandeo at intrinsyc.com
Thu Jun 12 20:05:38 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I was hoping that anyone who had some experience with JFFS2 and YAFFS NAND
devices could give a good idea of the reliability of both filesystems.  I
have attempted the JFFS2 filesystem on Toshiba NAND TC58256AFT with some
success but have encountered CRC errors when rebooting or interrupting
power
during writing.

I am considering moving to the YAFFS filesystem due to reliablity
concerns,
but I am also wondering if YAFFS will have its own can of worms.  I would
like to have reliability, performance and space but reliability is the
most
important concern.

Does anyone have experience with testing reliability of both
configurations?
If so what were the resutls?

Should I change to YAFFS?  Why?

Or should I stay with JFFS2?  Why?